I also offer Life Coaching. See ericpabstlifecoach.com for testimonials and how to reach me.

Sunday, March 15, 2020

Guilt

Even now in my forties, I found myself wondering about the concept of guilt.  I wanted clarity to help me in navigating all the complex emotions I experience.  I asked my friends for help.  These are my conclusions:

What is guilt? Where does it come from?

We each have acceptable thresholds for our own behavior. We each decide what they should be. We come up with these using various sources, some of which are our conscience, personal revelation, upbringing, culture, religion, and laws. We can change our thresholds over time. Anytime we behave against those thresholds, we have violated our integrity and so we feel guilt.

What should I do when I feel guilt?

Guilt is a wake-up call for us to take action, whether to adjust our behavior, our thresholds or both. These actions take us toward personal integrity. When our behavior is in conformance with our thresholds of acceptable behavior, we have integrity, peace, and are free of guilt.

Isn't it rationalizing if I adjust my acceptable thresholds to match my behavior?

Yes, and all of us have done this whether we recognize it or not.  We are still subject to external consequences (laws, social pressures, the Holy Ghost, etc.) that may bring us to reconsider these adjustments.

What if I can't seem to change my behavior or thresholds to what I think they should be?

There are several helpful options I see:
  1. Seek help.  There are many resources to help us in our struggles.  We don't have to do it alone.  Some of my personal favorite sources of help are close friends, getting close to God (Ether 12:27), using TheWork.com, and Non-Violent Communication.
  2. Change the threshold into a target or vision to work toward, rather than using it to punish on the way there.  This way we can accept ourselves where we are now, knowing that we are working toward becoming much better.
  3. Do your best.  Not only is it true that "Your best is good enough", but even more: "Your best is amazing!"

Thanks

Thank you for thinking about this concept.  I want all of us to find much greater joy in our lives and do much less suffering.  This life is about growing, which isn't comfortable, but well worth it.

No comments: