I also offer Life Coaching. See ericpabstlifecoach.com for testimonials and how to reach me.

Sunday, January 10, 2016

Dealing with Negative Criticism (The Big Red Balloon)

Dealing with a flood of negative criticism can be very unnerving.  It brings a whole new meaning to the word "patience".

When I was a missionary (for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints), I had an unforgettable experience.  My companion and I were walking down a street and we heard someone calling, "Elders!"  I got excited.  We didn't know them, yet just by how they addressed us, they seemed to know about us and what we do.  They invited us to come onto their porch where a small group of people were sitting.  They seemed pleasant and we started to get to know them a little.

When we asked them if they'd like to hear our message, they started criticizing our beliefs.  It wasn't a few concerns, it was an outpouring of rude criticism.  I immediately wanted to get out of there.  I wanted to cordially excuse ourselves since they were clearly not interested, however I couldn't get a word in edgewise.  I finally stood up, and interrupted them between their hurtful words to let them know we were going.

When we had made it down the street, my companion asked me why I'd gotten so mad.  I was startled at his question.  I knew that I hadn't yelled, insulted, or stormed off.  When I asked him what he meant, he explained that they could tell I was upset.  That's what they had wanted and I gave it to them.

I felt embarrassed to have done that, but I was confused.  What else could I have done?  Just sit there?  What good would that do?  I'd rather visit people who were interested in our message.  I couldn't stop thinking about it though...

Suddenly a thought came to my mind: I should have remained peaceful.  Patience isn't about waiting for my turn or putting up with something annoying.  It's about feeling peace in the midst of difficult circumstances.  If I could have remained calm, I could have been an example of love, acceptance of others, and had the opportunity to share my testimony and feelings about the gospel with them.

But how?  How could I possibly remain calm in the midst of such attacks?  I had to somehow not take their words personally.  I had to see them for what they were, and keep my perspective clear.

That's when the thought came about a big red balloon.  I could visualize that they had a red balloon, starting out empty, in their mouths.  Then, as they talked, the words would go into the balloon.  The more they talked, the more it would fill up, but the whole time, I would be safe from being hurt.  I could encourage them to get it all out by asking them about things that I didn't quite understand, and asking if there was anything else.  By allowing them to fill up the balloon, they will get to the point where they would feel heard.  Then, I could partially deflate the balloon by bringing up points that we agree with.  At that point, I could calmly, and sincerely ask if they would like to hear our message.  If they declined, I could at least share my testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Knowing that I could have peace through a barrage of insults and attacks gave me greater confidence.  I wasn't afraid of criticizing words.  Instead, they would give me a chance to pass along the unconditional love that I feel from Christ.


2 comments:

Eric Pabst said...

En español:
Hacer frente a una avalancha de críticas negativas puede ser muy desconcertante. Esta experiencia trae un nuevo significado a la palabra "paciencia".

Cuando yo era un misionero (de La Iglesia de Jesucristo de los Santos de los Últimos Días), tuve una experiencia inolvidable. Mi compañero y yo estábamos caminando por una calle y escuchamos a alguien que llamó, "Élderes!" Me emocioné. No sabíamos de ellos, sin embargo, solamente por la forma en que nos saludaron, nos parecía que supieron quiénes éramos y lo que hacíamos. Nos invitaron a venir en su porche donde un pequeño grupo de personas estaban sentados. Parecían agradable y empezamos a conocerlos un poco.

Cuando les preguntamos si les gustaría escuchar nuestro mensaje, empezaron a criticar a nuestras creencias. No fueron pocas dudas sino que fue un torrente de críticas groseras. Inmediatamente quise salir de allí. Yo quería excusarnos cordialmente puesto que claramente no les interesaba nuestro mensaje, sin embargo no pude decir una palabra. Finalmente me puse de pie, y les interrumpí entre sus palabras hirientes para hacerles saber que ya nos íbamos.

Cuando habíamos llegado a la calle, mi compañero me preguntó por qué había llegado tan enojado. Me sorprendió la pregunta. Yo sabía que yo no había gritado, insultado, o me enfurecí. Cuando le pregunté a qué se refería, explicó que se podría decir que yo era molesto. Eso es lo que ellos querían y se lo dí a ellos.

Me sentí avergonzado de haber hecho eso, pero yo estaba confundido. ¿Qué otra cosa podría haber hecho? Sólo quedarnos sentados allí? ¿Qué bien haría eso? Prefiero salir para visitar a las personas que estaban interesados ​​en nuestro mensaje. Sin embargo, yo no podía dejar de pensar en ello...

De repente, un pensamiento vino a mi mente: yo debería haber permanecido pacífica. La paciencia no se trata de esperar un turno o poner a algo molesto. Se trata de sentir la paz en medio de circunstancias difíciles. Si yo pudiera haber mantenido calmado, yo podría haber sido un ejemplo de amor, aceptación de los demás, y haber tenido la oportunidad de compartir mi testimonio y sentimientos sobre el evangelio con ellos.

¿Pero, cómo? ¿Cómo podría yo haber mantenido la calma en medio de este tipo de ataques? Tuve que de alguna manera no tomar sus palabras personalmente. Tenía que ver a las palabras como lo que eran, y mantener mi perspectiva clara.

Fue ese entonces cuando el pensamiento vino en cuanto a un gran globo rojo. Pude visualizar que las personas tuverian un globo rojo, empezando vacía, en la boca. Entonces, mientras hablaban, las palabras iban en el globo. Cuanto más hablaban, más se iba a llenar, pero todo el tiempo, yo estaría a salvo de estar herido. Yo podría animarles a sacar todo lo que quisieran decir por preguntarles acerca de las cosas que yo no haya entendido bien, y preguntando si había algo más. Por lo que les permite llenar el globo, van a llegar al punto en el que se sentirían oído. Entonces, yo podría desinflar parcialmente el globo por la crianza de los puntos que estamos de acuerdo. En ese momento, podría yo con calma y ​​sinceridad preguntar si les gustaría escuchar nuestro mensaje. Si ellos se negaron, por lo menos pudiera compartir mi testimonio del Evangelio de Jesucristo.

Sabiendo que yo pudiera tener paz a través de una lluvia de insultos y ataques me dio más confianza. Ya no tenía yo miedo de palabras críticas. En cambio, esas situaciones me darían la oportunidad de demostrar el amor incondicional que me siento de Cristo.

Paul said...

That was really wonderful. A visual to help control normal reactions....so is that what your companion wanted of you and is that what you did a few times after that? Or was this just the one and only worse attack you had to deal with? I love that you posted it in Spanish! Mom